Saturday, October 28, 2006

Hari Raya Alif Ba Ta

This year's raya celebration was the best I've ever experienced throughout my 4 years here in the States. In case you're not from Madison, Wisconsin, we had our celebration and bacaan takbir at the Alif Ba Ta Frat house. It was on the last day of Ramadhan and we were all on Raya mood at that time.

Since it was a weekend, we had time plenty of time to prepare the food. The seniors (I'm considered as a super senior I guess), the batch after mine wanted to throw a big ass Raya celebration and since the boys had a big house to themselves, it was decided that on the eve of Raya we would be having a Malaysian style frat party.

What's so great about it was the food as that was the first time I have ever tasted lemang in the States. The boys with the help of Mr. Kerol did the lemang. Kerol also oversaw the rendang ayam and daging which I guess was the reason why the food tasted like we ordered it straight from M'sia. It was overwhelming as when we tasted the lemang, it felt like we were back home celebrating with our families.I have to admit that after spending close to 4 years here, I almost lost my raya spirit totally. I guess I assimilated into the American society who are cultureless and believe that traditional values are for conservatives only. Those valuse are going to keep us from moving forward and thinking outside the box. Prior to the celebration, I assumed that Raya was gonna past just like that, as I have an exam and a paper the coming week. I wasn't even thinking of Raya at all. But these guys reminded me how fun it was to celebrate Raya and I enjoyed every second of it.

I have to hand it to the guys at Alif Ba Ta for their efforts in making this year's Raya a good closure to my 4 year stint in the States. You guys really outdid yourselves. Thanks guys.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aku rindu sama madi

Bart said...

Aku x benarkan sebarang aksi2 homoseksual di blog aku okeh!

Nak buat kat blog serip .. die suke bende2 camtuh

Anonymous said...

How ironic tgk stand kau on homosexual... last time aku remember masa aku pegi wiscon bila sampai kat apartment kau, aku ngan serih penat terus duduk kat couch....and kau plak without wasting any time terus stripped off sampai tinggal sepentot lusuh kau tu and pegi posing depan kami dengan kaki kiri memijak coffee table sambil mengunyah kuih ( or something )....now what the hell was that anyway? Tu pasal laa terus aku decide lepak ngan madi. Two weeks bro aku alami nightmares lepas tgk scene tu.