Saturday, December 23, 2006

Lolita: Ohhh Yeah Babeh

Hello everybody. Haven't seen u guys for awhile now. Cut me some slack will ya .. this is my final sem and I desparately need to get the grades. Not that I'm taking many classes actually .. 4 courses that would total only 11 credits, but the thing is 2 of those courses are paper/presentation kind of classes. It's a huge slap on my face coz I'm neither a presenter nor am I a writer. Seriously the main reason why I blog is to improve my writing skills.

Anyways, one of these courses was LCA 300; Introduction to the Middle East. Yes it is a humanities course and since it's a non engineering class all of y'all will assume that it's a piece of cake. Well, not quite. The class talks about a variety of stuff that ranges from the cultures of Middle Eastern people to the U.S - Middle East relations. YAWWWNNNNN. Zzz Zzz Zzz.

Seriously, I fell asleep everytime I go to class, which would be only 5 times coz after that I couldn't stand being in the damn lecture knowing that I'm not gonna learn anything. Might as well take sweet nap back in my comfy bed. I ended up skipping the whole freaking semester. That's not really a big problem since my instructor gave me take home exams and papers. But when a person skips the whole sem then it's an issue coz I basically knew shit bout the course everytime my instructor gave a paper or an exam.
About 3 weeks ago, my prof asked the class to write a 6 page paper based on this book "Reading Lolita in Tehran Blahblah by Azar Nafisi". He gave about 2 weeks to do the task. Being the lazy ass mofo that I am, I only bought the book after a week. So I got 1 week to read the damn book and do some writing, while having another 3500 word paper due the same week.

The book is about how Iranian women are subjected to gender discrimination by their leaders; which are all men. The women are oppressed, in politics, education or economy. They have no power, no voice and no nothing. Blahblahblah. It's like listening to your mother babbling about what you have done wrong. "Hisyam!!! Dah pukol 5 ptg kenape bilik x kemas lagi. Dah Form 3 pon x reti kemas bilik ke blahblahblahblah" That actually happened to me everyday back then. Yes, my mom calls me Hisyam and no, it ain't funny.

Anyhow, I was yawning after reading 5 pages; the book is like 300 pages full of women's issues. No offence but I never had any interest in feminism or terrorism for that matter. To me those who are feminists are lesbians, coz they have a big 'interest' in women. Kwakwakwa. How typical of me. C'mon girls .. men are expected to be shallow minded. So basically the book was boring and I was in no mood to write about feminism.

But I do remember there was this one time when I read in the newspapers about something that happened in Pakistan. This was after the September 11 attacks and the U.S already branded Pakistan to be an Islamic terrorist breeding ground. What had happened was a man and a woman were caught having a relationship. Both of them were from rival tribes in Pakistan. The woman's tribal leaders (which were all men) decided since she humiliated their tribe, the best punishment was to humiliate her and her family. So, the tribal leaders gangraped her. The dude escaped unpunished. Let me remind you that Pakistan not only is considered as an Islamic nation, they are part of the al-Qaeda network. Now, for a country that treats Islam so highly but disrespects women in such a way that the men treat women like slaves, is truly unIslamic.

That was practically what i wrote in my paper. Goreng2 sikit .. got 6 pages kwakwakwa. To think of it I read less than 30 pages of the book. However, now that the semester's over .. I've got nothing to do. Most of my friends have gone back. Dok menyangap je aaa. I may have to finish reading the other 90 percent of the book just to kill the time. WAAAaaaaaaaa. How pathetic my life is.

No comments: